[TFLA-list] French Graduate Courses offered in Spring 2018 - University of North Texas

Koop, Marie-Christine Marie-Christine.Koop at unt.edu
Sun Nov 5 17:15:07 EST 2017

Dear Colleagues,

Please find below a description of the three French graduate courses that we will be offering at UNT in Spring 2018. Please note that one of the courses is taught entirely online.

Information on our MA program in French and graduate admission is available in our Program Handbook for the Master of Arts in French at <http://worldlanguages.unt.edu/sites/worldlanguages.unt.edu/files/worldlanguages/ProgramHandbookFrenchMA_2.pdf> http://worldlanguages.unt.edu/sites/worldlanguages.unt.edu/files/worldlanguages/ProgramHandbookFrenchMA-Sept2017.pdf

We offer graduate courses during the regular fall and spring semesters and during our French Summer Institute.

Please share this information with interested individuals.

My best,

Marie-Christine Koop
Professor of French
Director, French Summer Institute
Department of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle #311127
Denton, Texas 76203-5017
koop at unt.edu
French Graduate Courses at UNT - Spring 2018

FREN 5200: Seminar in French – Course Topic: Francophone Canada

INET (Online course)

Dr. Lawrence Williams [Lawrence.Williams at unt.edu]

This course will offer students an overview of francophone Canada within the context of a country that promotes federal bilingualism even though language policies and practices vary greatly from province to province. This is a fully online course, which means that students will need access to the Internet in order to complete the required assignments. This course uses Blackboard for the posting of course content, interactions among students, and the submission of assignments. http://worldlanguages.unt.edu/~lfw/teaching/index.htm

FREN 5430: French Renaissance Literature – Course Topic: Renaissance Novels and Poetry

Monday, 5:30-8:20 p.m.

Dr. Christophe Chaguinian [Christophe.Chaguinian at unt.edu]

The literary production of French Renaissance, interesting in its own right, is also important to understand the later evolution of French literature. The lasting influence of classical models and themes whose value was called into question only at the beginning of the 19th c., started in the 16th c. Thus, to understand both the French classical theater of the 17th c. and the Romantic revolution of the 1820s it is, important to know the literary trends of the Renaissance. In this course, we will read representative works from different genres: poetry (in particular from the Pléiade school), short stories, Rabelais’s novel Gargantua, etc.

FREN 5450: The Seventeenth- and Eighteenth-Century French Theatre

Wednesday, 5:30-8:20 p.m.

Dr. Marijn S. Kaplan [Marijn.Kaplan at unt.edu]

There is arguably no period in French history when theater was as popular and as strongly supported by the government as during the Sun King’s reign. Through our readings of works by the major playwrights of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, from Corneille to Beaumarchais and including Racine, Molière and Marivaux, we will analyze in this course how drama functioned as an expression of artistic genius in the cultural, social, and political context of the Ancien Régime. Some Internet work required.