[TFLA-list] Textbooks / curriculum...

Michael Wagner mwagner at mcgregor-isd.org
Fri Mar 31 17:28:06 EDT 2017

When I was first introduced to storytelling (almost 20 years ago), it was
in it infancy. At the time I learned about it, I had started using but had
difficulty convincing the teacher that was here at that time that we should
look into becoming a CI department. Unfortunately, the teacher was very
content just teaching grammar and having students simply memorize rules and
vocabulary lists and doing worksheets and did not want to change. So, yes,
I did dabble in CI about 20 years ago and I wish I had stuck it and not
worried about rocking the boat. But that is water under the bridge.

Yes, TPRS has changed greatly and the process is way different from what I
was first exposed to. When I finally got back into the world of CI, things
with story telling had made a major shift and the process works so much
better. Instead of telling a story and the actors responding (which was
somewhat akin to TPR at that time), you now "ask" a story which allows the
audience to give suggestions as to what details make up the story (meaning
the story is not set script, but more organic and can take on the
personality of the class).

I currently have two Spanish 1 classes and four Spanish 2 classes and the
story, though the skeleton is the same for Spanish 1 or for Spanish 2, I
end up with very different and distinct stories (and yet I am teaching the
same structures/vocabulary and it is fun and refreshing for me because of
the differences between the stories).

Sounds scary and at first I would find myself losing control of the story
as it unfolded. But I now have learned how to control the story and still
allow the students to make their contributions which gives them a sense of
control and ownership. Do I get right every time? Nope.

Michael E. Wagner
McGregor High School
903 Bluebonnet Parkway
PO Box 356