[TFLA-list] French Graduate Courses offered in Fall 2017 - University of North Texas

Koop, Marie-Christine Marie-Christine.Koop at unt.edu
Tue Jul 18 12:02:15 EDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,

Please find below a description of the three French graduate courses that we will be offering at UNT in Fall 2017.

Information on our MA program in French and graduate admission is available in our Program Handbook for the Master of Arts in French at http://worldlanguages.unt.edu/sites/worldlanguages.unt.edu/files/worldlanguages/ProgramHandbookFrenchMA_2.pdf

We offer graduate courses during the regular fall and spring semesters and during our French Summer Institute.

Please share this information with interested individuals.

My best,

Marie-Christine Koop
Professor of French and Graduate Advisor
Director, French Summer Institute
Department of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle #311127
Denton, Texas 76203-5017
koop at unt.edu
French Graduate Courses at UNT - Fall 2017

FREN 5200: Seminar in French - The French Artist

Monday, 5:30-8:20 p.m.

Dr. Christophe Chaguinian [Christophe.Chaguinian at unt.edu]

Modern society associates several, sometimes contradictory, characteristics with creators (artists, poets, actors etc.). They seem to be cut from the same cloth as the same words are typically used to describe them: genius, passionate, strange, melancholy, etc. Did these characteristics always exist or were they created over time? In this course, we will try to answer this question through a study of the way French society perceived creators from the Middle Ages to the 19th century.

FREN 5310: Analysis of French Discourse

Wednesday, 5:30-8:20 p.m.

Dr. Lawrence Williams [Lawrence.Williams at unt.edu]

This course will be offered in the format of Project-Based Learning since individual students will each have different interests and priorities. There will be a mix of classroom meetings, individual (or small-group) instruction, and Internet work. At the beginning of the semester, we will focus on understanding what discourse analysts do and different approaches to discourse analysis. Information about the required textbook is available on the website of the UNT Bookstore. This book will be used during the first part of the semester as an overview of theoretical and practical issues related to the analysis of discourse. During October, students will begin working on individual projects based on a single type of French-language discourse (e.g., audio, electronic, written/printed), a single type of French-language content (e.g., classified ads, job ads, birth announcements, wedding announcements, obituaries, Twitter, discussion forums, online newspaper article comments, corporate websites, printed/online advertising, sonnets, haikus, etc.), or a single feature (e.g., pronouns, negation, accents, politeness/impoliteness) used in different types of discourse. In November, students will give in-class presentations in order to share their progress with the class. The research project (instead of a final exam) will be due at the end of the semester. Please contact Dr. Williams for additional details regarding the schedule, which should be finalized in early August.

FREN 5730: Topics on France - Women in France

Tuesday, 5:30-8:20 p.m.

Dr. Marie-Christine Koop [Marie-Christine.Koop at unt.edu]

The objective of this seminar is to show the various stages that have led to the emancipation of women in France. It will first offer an overview of women's conditions in France from the Middle Ages to the twenty-first century through the various historical events and social movements that have enabled them to achieve basic rights in education, contraception, civil life, work, and politics. The second part of the seminar will focus on the current status of women in France, changes in mentality, and the role of women's associations in the implementation of equal rights. Information about the required textbook is available on the website of the UNT Bookstore while additional publications will be posted on Blackboard. Lectures and readings will be supplemented with video sequences and feature films illustrating the various topics covered. This course will be taught in the hybrid mode, and we will meet on campus every other Tuesday only.