[TFLA-list] HB 5

Pamela Young jeunejoven at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 13:57:45 EDT 2016

Let's not let the legislature think that we do not care about allowing
Computer Science to substitute for World Language credit. Contact your
state senator and representative to let them know that you want them to
change it back. To find your representative go to:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Members/Members.aspx?Chamber=H . For your
senator, go to: http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/senate/members.htm .

Here is a sample letter:

Dear ,

We live in an increasingly global economy. In order to be successful in
this economy it is important that future workers, managers and
entrepreneurs have at least a basic understanding of one foreign language.
For comparison: most European countries require at least 2 years in at
least 3 foreign languages. Foreign language skills are very important for
students to be competitive in tomorrow’s job market and for the United
States to stay competitive in light of the increasing globalization.

HB5 has allowed computer science to be substituted for foreign language
credits. I feel this is deflating our high school education level and urge
you to craft legislation to counteract HB5 by promoting computer science,
but not as an alternative to a foreign language.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and assistance. I look forward
to hearing from you as soon as you create the appropriate legislation.

Sincerely,

--
Pamela A. Young
TFLA Advocacy Chair