[TFLA-list] 2016 French Summer Institute for Teachers (graduate credits) - University of North Texas

Koop, Marie-Christine Marie-Christine.Koop at unt.edu
Sun Mar 20 07:28:37 EDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to inform you that the University of North Texas will again offer its French Summer Institute for teachers this year:

Session 1

FREN 5410.001 (3 credits) : Medieval Literature

* Meets in classroom June 6-17, 2016

  MTWRF 9:00 am-11:50 a.m., LANG 109

* Independent Internet work required after July 1

In this course, we will study the French lyric tradition from the 12th-c. troubadours and trouvères to the late 15th-c. rhétoriqueurs. Interesting in its own right, Medieval French poetry is also important because of its impact on European poetry of its time. Indeed the so-called courtly love that is found in the literature of all the countries of medieval Europe is the creation of the French troubadours and trouvères.

Instructor: Dr. Christophe Chaguinian

E-mail: Christophe.Chaguinian at unt.edu

Session 2:

FREN 5200.001 (3 credits): Language and Culture in the Maghreb

* Meets in classroom June 20-July 1, 2016

  MTWRF 09:00-11:50 a.m., LANG 219

* Independent Internet work required after July 1

This course focuses on linguistic and cultural practices and products in the area of North Africa known as the Maghreb, where French language and culture have played a major role in shaping the countries and peoples of this region. Although readings, discussions, and assignments will cover all the countries of the Maghreb, some emphasis will be placed on Morocco.

Instructor: Dr. Lawrence Williams

E-mail: Lawrence.Williams at unt.edu

For more information, please visit http://worldlanguages.unt.edu/graduate-programs/graduate-summer-institute. If you cannot view this page, go to http://worldlanguages.unt.edu/ and click on Summer Institutes.

For graduate admission, visit our web page at http://worldlanguages.unt.edu/graduate-programs and/or contact Dr. Lawrence Williams (Lawrence.Williams at unt.edu), our Graduate Advisor in French.

Denton is located 45 miles north of Dallas and Fort Worth along I-35, and campus housing at a moderate cost is available during the Institute. I will send a brochure with additional information upon request. Feel free to share this information with interested colleagues.

Best regards,

Marie-Christine Koop
Professor of French
Director, French Summer Institute
Director, Semester Program in France
Department of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle #311127
Denton, Texas 76203-5017
U.S.A.