[TFLA-list] "demotion" of LOTE classes to non-counting

Judy Gardner judy.gardner at dsisd.txed.net
Wed Mar 5 10:14:24 EST 2014

Esteemed colleagues,

At our high school, the counseling/curriculum departments are moving to "demote" the LOTE classes to not counting toward class rank.  PAP classes will
receive a "point boost" toward GPA, but will not be factored in for class rank purposes.  At our school, GPA is almost ignored by the students -- class
rank is everything.  They want to be in that top 10% or top quartile at least.

We have a very competitive college-bound student population.  I feel that students will NOT be drawn to the rigor of the PAP classes if they know it won't
provide a bump in their class rank. I feel certain it will jeopardize the AP program.  I want to argue against this with my administration, but I'd like
some research to back it up.

Has this happened at your campus?  What have the effects been?  Or, if your LOTE classes have never been factored into class rank, how are your PAP/AP
programs doing?

Our students will receive a boost IF they take the AP class itself, but how many will choose that route when there is no interim benefit?

Many thanks for any insight you can provide.

M. Judith Gardner
Dripping Springs High School
PAP Spanish II & III, AP Spanish IV
LOTE Dept. Chair
512.858.4313
judy.gardner at dsisd.txed.net

"Learning a second language changes how you see the world and how the world sees you."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.