[TFLA-list] Books on tape suggestions

McManus, John E JMCMANUS at houstonisd.org
Fri Apr 18 09:52:34 EDT 2014

Hola tflalisters!
Does anyone have suggestions for Spanish recorded books or other recordings that follow text for any level of Spanish?

In the coming year my Spanish 1 and Spanish 2 classes will have a variety of learners and 1 activity we will be doing is reading and listening to readings. While many of the learner will have little or no experience learning the language, as many as 30% will have some Spanish language experience or even be able to speak and understand enough to function at a low level in a purely Spanish-speaking environment.

Our current class structure enable our more literate Spanish speakers to take upper-level courses but those Spanish speakers with minimal literacy do not have that option. Some of those students may do well in our native speaker program, but many will not thrive there and need a different curriculum. We have worked for years to start a curriculum for heritage learners but we have not yet accomplished that goal.

In any event I want to institute reading at all levels of acquisition in the regular Spanish 1 and 2 classes so any input from you would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!
John McManus
Chavez HS
Houston ISD