[TFLA-list] Combining of credits for LOTE

tina.dong at austinisd.org tina.dong at austinisd.org
Tue Aug 13 13:46:09 EDT 2013

Dear Fellow Coordinators and LOTE Teachers,

Please let me know if your district has adopted the combining of LOTE
credits to satisfy the foreign language graduation requirement.  In other
words, is the following scenario permissible in your district?

Spanish I fall semester grade = 70
Spanish I spring semester grade = 80
Total of 1.0 LOTE credit

Spanish II fall semester grade = 69
Spanish II spring semester grade = 74
Total of .5 LOTE credit

Spanish III fall semester grade = 70
Spanish III spring semester grade = 69
Total of .5 LOTE credit

Grand total of 2.0 LOTE credits...enough to satisfy the recommended plan
for graduation.  (Or for Foundations when HB 5 goes into effect)

In AISD, we do not average grades for the year, they are calculated per
semester.

Would love to hear from someone in similar situations and how this is or
is not working for them.  :)
Thanks so much for your time!
Tina

Tina Dong
Instructional Coordinator, World Languages/Journalism
Austin ISD, Department of Advanced Academic Services
Carruth Administration Center, A450
1111 W. 6th Street
Austin, Texas 78703

Office: 512.414.4212
Fax: 512.414.9875
Mobile: 512.203.3496
E-mail: tina.dong at austinisd.org

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow.  Learn as if you were to live
forever."  - Mahatma Gandhi